Fried Squash Fries - Yummy Recipe

Fried Squash Fries

Fried Squash Fries

I love fried squash and usually just make the normal sliced version. A few years ago a restaurant my wifes cousin owns in south Georgia had squash fries on the menu and we loved them. I decided to make some today using my fry cutter. They came out very good and I learned a few lessons along the way.

I used 4 large yellow squash. I picked out some big ones because I wanted the bulb part to be large enough to fit in my potato/fry slicer without problems. They were perfect!

I cut the neck off each squash and a small part of the end to give it a flat surface. I actually put the neck through the slicer as well and to my surprise it cut that into fries too. I thought it would just cause a mess but the neck part was stiff enough to withstand the pressure of being pushed through the blades so not much of anything was wasted.

####SIKI####

For the batter I used self rising flour seasoned with cajun seasoning to my taste. I made a simple eggwash using 2 large eggs to one cup buttermilk. I put the sliced squash fries in my big plastic shaker/batter bowl to coat them with batter.

Fry in deep fryer at 365 until golden brown. Depending on hos big of fries you make will determine how long to cook them. I have different size cutting blades and I went with a larger cut for these. As such, I fried them for around 8 minutes. If I’d of used the smaller shoestring blade I would of fried them for around 4 minutes.

I’m uploading some pics so you can see the fry cutter I used, the size of the squash fries and the finished product. You will want to eat these not long after they come out as fried squash gets soggy after sitting for a while. If your cooking this as a side dish, cook your meat or other items first. These go great with chicken fingers, pork chops, etc.

Also, depending on your tastes you can sprinkle a little salt on the squash when you take them out of the fryer. I understand you can cook these in an air fryer as well but I don’t do the air fryer thing so maybe someone else who owns one will give some cooking instructions for that version.

NOTES: The fry cutter I use is a cheap $20 one I purchased years ago. It’s the plastic version but they make more heavy duty ones if you want to spend the money.(this was a gift)
I believe the brand I have is an LEM and it works good for making home fries and now squash fries. I don’t think it’s strong enough to cut sweet potato fries, it would bend the cheap parts on this one. The batter bowl/shaker I use is one I bought from Academy Sports over a decade ago. I use it all the time for battering fish, okra, squash, etc. They sell them at Walmart last I checked but I’m not sure of the brand names. I’ve also seen them many times at Academy next to the fish frying supplies.


 

Open Next To Continue Reading...
SHARE ON FACEBOOK
  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 Comments

 
Come and spend some time with us in THE CLUBHOUSE!
The Pioneer Wife- Clubhouse
Public group · 3M member
Join Group
 
 

Heavenly Recipes
Public group · 189K member
Join Group